iConnect International Mentorship Program volunteers
iConnect is an intercultural mentorship program. This means that you will be matched (where possible) with a mentor who is from a different country.
As an iConnect member, you will have opportunities to reflect on your own cultural identity and strengthen your intercultural skills. At monthly meetings, you can connect with other students and with helpful U of T offices. Last year, members played board games, learned to ice skate, attended a stress-management workshop, toured the city and U of T campus, shared meals, sang karaoke, and celebrated the year at our fancy party. All activities focus on intercultural conversations and experiences to help you grow comfortable in your new life in Canada and at U of T!
Volunteers in the iConnect program can be involved as Mentors or as Leaders.
- Mentors directly support new U of T international students in their transition to Canada.
- Leaders provide support to Mentors and their Mentees, while fulfilling an essential programming role
- Create a dynamic learning community that fosters global citizenship
- Reflect on your own cultural identity and expand your global perspective
- Assist newly arrived international students in their academic and cultural transition to the University, to Toronto and to Canada
- Develop your intercultural communication and competency and your leadership and mentoring skills
- Leaders receive and honorarium
The program runs from June to March each year and the time commitment ranges from 6 to 12 hours per month.
Click here for the application form.