Congratulations! We look forward to your arrival!
These suggested steps will help you prepare for your arrival in Toronto and on campus.
Before you arrive in Toronto, there are some things you will need to prepare for – everything from organizing your travel documents to finding somewhere to live. Check out our Pre-Arrival Guide and Next Steps Checklist for details.
Services for international students:
- St. George campus: Centre for International Experience
- Mississauga campus: International Centre
- Scarborough campus: International Student Centre
Related information: Campus Tours
The Pre-Arrival Guide for International Students is a series of webcasts that will help you prepare for your arrival at the University of Toronto:
- Welcome (2m 16 s)
- Travel Documents & Customs (4m 4s) covers documents required for immigration, what to expect at customs and what you can bring with you.
- Academic Life Part 1 (6m 34s) covers understanding U of T academic culture, International Transition Advisors, academic integrity and academic terms glossary.
- Academic Life Part 2 (7m 15s)
- Money Matters (3m 8s)
- Housing (3m 9s) covers general information about housing, off-campus housing, temporary accommodation. Additional webcast: off-campus housing.
- Health & Health Insurance (4m 25s) covers introduction to health care in Canada, University Health Insurance (UHIP) explained, UHIP enrolment and start date, how to use your insurance and how to get your health card.
- Your Neighbourhood (8m 54s) covers living here, from the airport to campus, getting around the cities, climate and clothing and campus/neighbourhood safety.
- Student Life (5m 21s) covers student life, clubs and associations and student rights and responsibilities & freedom of speech.
- When You Arrive (3m 3s) covers picking up your T-Card, CIE upon arrival orientation and campus orientation.
Next Steps Checklist
These suggested next steps will help you prepare for your arrival in Toronto and on campus.
Before You Arrive
- View the Pre-Arrival Guide for International Students.
- Obtain a study permit and related immigration documents.
- Photocopy important documents (such as your passport and immigration papers). Remember to have the original documents with you at the border crossing.
- Consider your housing options.
- Pay your tuition fees. For more information about:
- Enrol in courses. See your Registrar’s website for specific information about your academic program.
- Sign up to be paired with a Peer Mentor.
- Create a realistic budget based on the cost of living in Toronto.
- Plan your transportation from the airport to campus.
- Learn about the academic culture at the University.
- Become familiar with living in the City of Toronto.
Please see the column at your right for suggestions about what to do after you arrive in Toronto.
After You Arrive
- Visit the Airport Welcome Booth when you arrive at Pearson Airport.
- Get your U of T student card (TCard).
- Visit the international centre at your campus:
- Attend orientation events for international students.
- Obtain your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) card online.
- Learn about health services for all students at U of T:
- Get to know your Registrar’s Office.
- Explore social media about student life at U of T:
- Attend your student union’s Clubs Fair.
- Learn about options for working in Canada while you study: