The Step Up Program is a five-day overnight, pre-orientation program that helps you to get ready for your first-year of University. You will get to know your new campus, meet some professors, learn about Toronto and make new friends. We hope you can join us!
NOTE: Registration for Step Up is by invitation only. Invitations to register will be sent out in mid-June. If, at that time, you have not received an invitation but you think you should have, please contact us directly.
Who can join?
Step Up is open to first-year International students, Canadian residents or permanent residents who completed their secondary-level education outside of Canada and will be entering one of the following faculties:
- Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Music
- John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design
Note: Exchange students are not eligible for the Step Up program.
What previous participants have said about the program
“[Step Up] is a helpful program… You get a substantial amount of understanding about Canadian culture and the university’s expectations.” (Step Up 2017 participant)
“I met people I am still friends with to this day and it helped me be more prepared, relaxed and settled in university.” (Step Up 2016 participant)
How it works
As a Step Up participant you will:
Build Your Community: Meet professors, peers and advisors.
Get Oriented: Discover campus and community resources.
Bring U of T in Focus: Get ready to begin your studies at U of T.
Step Up participants stay in residence during the program. Health care coverage is provided automatically through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).
Cost for the week: $350.00 CAD
The Deadline to register and pay is August 10, 2018 by 11:59 p.m. EST
Monday Aug 27, 2018
- Arrive and Register for Step Up
- Dinner & welcome with all participants
- Evening program
Tuesday Aug 28, 2018
- Welcome & Opening Remarks – Katherine Beaumont, Senior Director Global Learning Opportunities & International Student Success
- Get to Know Each Other – Icebreakers
- Get to Know Campus – Social Media Scavenger Hunt
- Free Time
- Dinner: Lebanese
- Evening Program
Wednesday Aug 29, 2018
- Intro to U of T – Part 1
- Get to Know your Library
- Intro to U of T – Part 2 (Faculties)
- Get to Know a Prof
- Get to Know the Community
- Dinner: Lasagna
- Evening Program – Health & Wellness
Thursday Aug 30, 2018
- International Student Panel
- Networking Session
- Closing Remarks
- Get to Know Toronto – Drop in activity
- Dinner: Thai
- Evening Program
Friday Aug 31, 2018
- Check Out no later than 11:00am *Please see U of T Student Life App for specific details for Chestnut students & students moving to other U of T residences
*NOTE: Bedding, towels & toiletries will be provided for students during their stay at Chestnut, but will NOT BE PROVIDED as of August 31, 2018 onwards.
Registration for Step Up is by invitation only. Invitations to register will be sent out in mid-June. If, at that time, you have not received an invitation but you think you should have, please contact us directly.
If you are a former Step Up participant and are interested in volunteering this year, you can find more information on the Orientation Volunteering page.