You’ve got big career goals; we’ve got the resources to help get you there! We offer a wide range of career-related programs, workshops, customized sessions and consultations year round for graduate students and Post Docs. For a more intensive career focused experience, join us once per semester for Flexible Futures Grad Week and learn more about work search (academic, academic-alternatives and non-academic) and personal effectiveness. Get informed, and take charge of your future!
Flexible Futures Grad Week
Watch for 2016 dates in the fall
Curious what path to pursue after completing your master's, PhD, or post-doctoral fellowship? The possibilities are endless! Explore your options at the Flexible Futures for Graduate Students and Post-docs.
Brought to you by the Academic Success Centre,Career Exploration & Education, Libraries, School of Graduate Studies and Teaching Assistants' Training Program. This program is a week of immersive programming. It will feature workshops and events is geared towards students approaching completion of their degree, but is open to everyone exploring diverse career paths.
Participants are welcome to attend as many of the sessions as desired by following the registration instructions for each event in the Career & Co-curricular Learning Network (CLNx) .
Topics will include:
- Academic work search
- Non-academic career exploration
- Post-academic career exploration
- Alternative academic career exploration
- Personal effectiveness during graduate studies.
The capstone events of the week are:
- Opening Doors, a networking panel
- Inside an Academic Interview, mock academic panel interview
Participate in the online conversation using #UofTFlexibleFutures.
Year Round Topics
Topics covered in group and individual settings include:
- Exploring options based on education and interests
- Building experience and planning a career
- Developing resilience, personal identity and community for self-directed career management
- Job search strategies and labour market research
- Creating application materials such as resumés, cover letters, portfolios,and CVs
- Interview strategies and practice
- Planning for lifelong effectiveness and authenticity in workplaces and careers
Year Round Options
Your options for accessing our services year round include:
- Regular workshops held in the Grad Room cover the topics above as part of our embedded partnership with the School of Graduate Studies – check the Career Learning Network (CLN) for a list of sessions and to register.
- Customized sessions for departments and student groups on any of the topics listed above – contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a session for your department or student group.
- Career Exploration can help you figure out what you want to do – check out our informational interview database, Extern job-shadowing placements, In the Field, Dream Job Academy, Rapid Launch (for aspiring entrepreneurs), and Opening Doors (alumni panels), in partnership with the School of Graduate Studies.
- Individual advising with a Career Educator on any of the topics listed above –visit our front desk, call us at 416-978-8000, or email email@example.com to book an appointment.
You can also find additional career-related resources at U of T and beyond:
- The Graduate Professional Skills Program organized by the School of Graduate Studies is the best place to learn about all professional development opportunities open to graduate students,
- The Ontario Consortium for Graduate Professional Skills (of which the University of Toronto is a contributing member) offers a full suite of free online content just for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. All you need is your University of Toronto email address to sign up.