Community Days and Community Kitchens
Community Days is a monthly program (a few hours, half a day or a full day) for U of T students to get involved and take action for social change. Community Days involve going off campus and entering communities or welcoming community leaders and members on campus. If this will be your first time working with a local community organization or if you’ve been involved before, you are welcome to join our collective effort to make a positive contribution to the City of Toronto… one day at a time!
Community Days summary:
- Around 10 U of T students participate in each Community Day
- Each Community Day is preceded by a short day-of orientation
- Each Community Day involves a follow up reflection activity; this can be a short discussion at the end of the day and/or a series of reflection questions sent in the following days (via email)
- Volunteers spend 2-3 hours to participate in the project for Community Day
- The program happens once a month, starting September (except during exam months: December and April)
- Registration always required every month
- All Community Days are CCR (Co-Curricular Record) validated (once reflection responses are received)
- Transportation provided
- Learn From: Learning from and with our communities is a respectful approach to the work that honors reciprocity
- Learn With: Our focus on 'Learn With' is about encouraging participants to respect and appreciate the knowledge held in the communities where we volunteer and come from and
- Grow With: We continually work to respect different kinds of knowledge and grow in that knowledge
Our Partners and Projects
St. Albans Boys and Girls Club
Once a month, on the first Wednesday of each month, from 4 – 6 p.m. we support the STARS After School programs and play Indoor/outdoor sports and games, go swimming, make arts and crafts and cook. We will be recruiting 7 student volunteers to support with the activities and the kids (ages 6 – 12).
Start Date: Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Location: 843 Palmerston Avenue
Time: On the first Wednesday of each month, from 4 – 6 p.m, beginning October 2.
Kensington Gardens Seniors-Friendly Visiting
On the third Wednesday of each month, from 2 – 4 p.m. we visit seniors at Kensington Gardens and play board games, listen to music or make crafts. We will be recruiting 5 to 10 student volunteers to provide support with the activities.
Start Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Location: 45 Brunswick Avenue
Time: On the third Wednesday of each month, from 2 – 4 p.m., beginning September 18.
Hungry for social change?
Feed your need by coming to our community kitchen events. At these events, we will feast on engaging topic, build community around social justice issues, have fruitful discussions, and a wholesome meal.
Together, we will cook food with chefs and share ideas with community developers.
Coming soon to kitchen near you!