Community Action Project: Kensington Gardens Friendly visiting Program
Become a Friendly Visitor
Walk into a room and make someone smile – volunteer at Kensington Gardens, just a 10 minute walk from the west side of U of T St. George campus.
Get first-hand experience working in a long-term care senior facility in order to complement your learning in gerontology, social work, psychology and aging, quality and assessment of programs in a health care setting - and build new friendships that you never knew were possible at the same time!
As a Friendly Visitor volunteer, you will be paired with the Kensington Gardens coordinator and connect with a resident to have the opportunity to visit them 1-2 times a week for an hour. You will provide a vital community link for the resident. You will spend some one-on-one time and can make new friends as you make a meaningful connection with the resident and the professional health-care community.
As a Friendly Visitor you will:
- Visit with a resident for1-2 hours a day, 1 day per week (maximum of 2 days).
- Spend some one-on-one time with a new friend.
- Connect with the Kensington Gardens coordinator to better understand the skills and competencies you would like to contribute and further develop.
- Be provided with orientation, training, staff support, program choices and flexibility in scheduling.
This opportunity is open to students of any academic background. However students who are interested in hospice care, gerontology, social work, psychology, kinesiology, nutrition, community outreach, arts therapy, communications and marketing are encouraged to apply as there are relevant opportunities where your skills can be further refined and can make a difference.
How it works
- Attend an Orientation session at Kensington Gardens.
- Attend an interview and fill out a Police Reference Check, either by picking one up in person at the office, or by emailing us to request one.
- Complete the training provided by Kensington Gardens.
- Complete the Orientation provided by CCP.
- Participate for at least 6 months.
- Attend a reflection session with the CCP and other participants.
If you complete all of the above requirements you can add this experience to your Co-Curricular Record.
Schedule and time commitment
We ask you to make a minimum six-month commitment to the program.
You will visit Kensington Gardens one or two times a week for an hour or two. Scheduling is flexible.
25 Brunswick Ave, Toronto