Grad Step Up
- Are you an international student joining the University of Toronto’s graduate student community in the fall of 2019?
- Are you new to Toronto and hoping to make lasting connections with fellow grad peers?
- Do you want to hear directly from current students about navigating the expectations associated with U of T’s academic cultures?
If so, Grad Step Up is for you! This is a full-day pre-orientation event designed to connect incoming international graduate students to key communities, resources and information.
You will have the chance to take part in sessions facilitated by U of T advisors, instructors and student leaders. The interactive format of the sessions will provide you opportunities to ask multiple questions and engage in discussions about the graduate student experience. For this reason, the number of participants is capped to ensure an intimate and relaxed learning environment.
This event has been co-sponsored by Hart House, U of T's centre for education outside of the classroom.
All incoming international graduate students enrolled in a degree program (i.e. Masters or PhD) at the University of Toronto.
Note: If you do not fall in this category but feel that you would benefit from attending as a member of the U of T graduate student community, please get in touch with the event organizers.
Date: Thursday, August 29, 2019
Time: 8:30 a.m. to mid-afternoon
Location: Hart House, St. George Campus
If you are an incoming international graduate student starting a degree program in the fall of 2019, you can register for the event through the Career & Co-Curricular Learning Network (CLNx).
- At the top of the page, hover your pointer over Students & Recent Grads and then click Login to CLNx.
- Enter your UTORid (or JOINid) and password to log in.
- Select Events & Workshops on the left menu.
- Select St. George.
- Select Centre for International Experience under St. George Calendars
- Select Graduate Events – Grad Step Up on Thursday, August 29.
Please note that space for Grad Step Up is limited. If the event fills to capacity, students can place their name on a wait list and will be notified if spots become available.
The sessions for Grad Step Up 2019 will cover:
- Information about your immigration responsibilities and about working in Canada
- Enhancing your degree with professional development opportunities
- The academic and financial services offered by School of Graduate Studies
- Navigating academic cultures as a student in the research and professional streams
- Dealing with difficult graduate school situations early
- Seeking academic accommodations as a student with a disability
- Networking and building your community at U of T
- Understanding your health care plans
There will also be many opportunities for you to meet new people in a relaxed, casual setting. A light breakfast, tea and coffee, and a full lunch will be included.