CIE Orientation includes many events and activities to help students transition to U of T, including drop-ins, workshops, campus and neighbourhood tours, day trips and the CIE Welcome Reception. Most events will take place at CIE or elsewhere on the St. George Campus.
CIE organizes several types of orientation and transition programming for international and exchange students (including Step Up and Grad Step Up). Preference is for volunteers who can offer at least 20 hours or more to the various orientation and transition activities (although there may be opportunities for volunteers with less availability).
There are 4 types of orientation and transition volunteer opportunities available at CIE. Please pay attention to the descriptipons and dates required for each type of opportunity:
- Step Up Pre-Orientation for 1st-year international students
- Event dates: August 27 – September 1
- Roles include: facilitating wayfinding, being a resource person for new students, walking students between locations, and leading social activities.
- Priority for this role will be given to students who have previously participated in the Step Up program and who can volunteer at least 15 – 20 hours.
- Grad Step Up Orientation for new international graduate students
- Event date: Thursday, August 31, 2017
- Roles include: staffing the registration table, participating in the student panel, being a resource for new students. Volunteers may help for the full day or half day.
- Volunteers should be graduate students and preference will be given to international graduate students.
Orientation and Transition
CIE’s annual orientation programming provides welcome and transition support activities for new international and exchange students.
Volunteers greet students, answer questions, and interact with or lead students for day trips, campus/community tours, and interactive activities.
- Orientation and Transition Part A
- Dates: September 1-6
- Must be available to volunteer for more than one shift (preferably a few shifts/days)
- Orientation and Transition Part B
- Dates: Sept. 7 - mid/late September
- Must be available for a minimum of one shift, plus the Welcome Reception on Friday September 15th.
Volunteer Interviews & Training
Interviews will be 90-minute group interviews at the end of July or early August.
The training session for volunteers (approx. 4 hours long) will be mid-August or second last week of August (likely Thursday, August 17 or Wednesday, August 23).
- CIE Orientation Volunteer positions count towards recognition on the U of T Co-Curricular Record (after requirements such as minimum number of volunteer hours have been met). Learn more about the CCR.
- Opportunity for meaningful involvement – be the first friendly face a new student will encounter, which can set a positive tone for the rest of that student's time at U of T.
- Build and practise your skills and competencies.
- Meet other volunteers and U of T students.
- Bring your energy, experiences, talents and perspectives to support CIE’s programming, and help students with their transition to the University, city and new environment.
- Strong interpersonal, listening and communication skills
- Ability to knowledegably represent the University of Toronto and the Centre for International Experience
- Patience and understanding, particularly when working with new, multilingual students who may not be familiar with some Canadian customs or may not be comfortable speaking English
- Intercultural communication skills and interest in/commitment to intercultural experiences and learning
- Willingness to learn and expand your knowledge about services and resources for international and exchange students
- Ability to address student questions and concerns in a timely manner and determine when to make referrals to CIE staff
- Friendly, team-oriented work approach and flexibility to adapt to necessary changes in activities
- Previous leadership experience, strong familiarity with Toronto neighbourhoods, presentation skills, and ability to troubleshoot problems are all considered assets
To apply to become a CIE Orientation Volunteer, please go to the Career Learning Network (CLN) and find the position under the Volunteer Job Board. Look for Job ID # 98541 and job title CIE Orientation Volunteer.
The deadline to apply as a 2017 CIE Orientation Volunteer is July 16, 2017.