Orientation and Step Up Volunteering
CIE Orientation includes many events and activities to help students transition to U of T, including drop-ins, workshops, campus and neighbourhood tours, day trips and the CIE Welcome Reception. Most events will take place at CIE or elsewhere on the St. George Campus.
CIE organizes several types of orientation and transition programming for international and exchange students (including Step Up and Grad Step Up). There are 2 types of orientation and volunteer opportunities available at CIE. Please pay attention to the descriptions and dates required for each type of opportunity:
Step Up Volunteer
Step Up Pre-Orientation for 1st-year international students:
Event dates: August 27-31, 2018
Roles include: facilitating wayfinding, being a resource person for new students, walking students between locations, and leading social activities.
- Preference will be given to students who can commit to volunteering for the entire week of the Step Up program (August 27 to 31)
Grad Step Up Orientation for new international graduate students:
- Event date: August 30, 2018
- Roles include: staffing the registration table, facilitating breakout discussion groups and being a resource for new students. Volunteers may help for the full day or half day.
- Volunteers should be graduate students and preference will be given to international graduate students.
CIE’s annual orientation programming provides welcome and transition support activities for new international and exchange students
Event dates: August 31 to September 7 PLUS the Welcome Reception on Friday, September 14, 2018
Roles include: greeting new students, helping find answers to their questions, leading campus and neighbourhood tours, and helping them connect with support services at U of T and in the city.
To apply for one of these CIE volunteer positions, please go to the Career Learning Network and find the position under the Volunteer Job Board. We encourage you to apply for both volunteer positions!
CIE Step Up Volunteer (Job ID: 124029)- Application now closed.
CIE Orientation Volunteer (Job ID: 123769)- Application now closed.
Volunteer interviews and training
Orientation Volunteer interviews will take place in early July with training sessions taking place in August. Step Up Volunteer interviews will take place the week of July 30, 2018, with training scheduled for Friday, August 10, 2018. All volunteers must participate in a group interview and attend the training.
Note: Dates and times are subject to change.
- Apply your CIE volunteer work to your Co-Curricular Record (after minimum hour requirements are met)
- Gain new skills and competencies, with hands-on opportunities to practice them
- Build on existing interpersonal and communications skills by using them in new ways
- Connect with other volunteers and expand your network
- Discover renewed confidence in your abilities to help others effectively
- Enrich your student experience with meaningful, positive engagement that feels good
- Strong interpersonal, listening and communication skills
- Ability to confidently represent the University of Toronto and the Centre for International Experience
- Patience and understanding, particularly when working with new, multilingual students who may not be familiar with some Canadian customs or may not be comfortable speaking English
- Intercultural communication skills and interest in/commitment to intercultural experiences and learning
- Willingness to learn and expand your knowledge about services and resources for international and exchange students
- Ability to address student questions and concerns in a timely manner and determine when to make referrals to CIE staff