Orientation and Step Up Volunteering
CIE Orientation includes many events and activities to help students transition to U of T, including drop-ins, workshops, campus and neighbourhood tours, day trips and the CIE Welcome Reception. Most events will take place at CIE or elsewhere on the St. George Campus.
CIE organizes several types of orientation and transition programming for international and exchange students (including Step Up and Grad Step Up). Preference is for volunteers who can offer at least 15 hours or more to each volunteer opportunity that they sign up for.
There are 2 types of orientation and volunteer opportunities available at CIE. Please pay attention to the descriptions and dates required for each type of opportunity:
1. Step Up Volunteer
A. Step Up Pre-Orientation for 1st-year international students
- Event dates: TBA
- Roles include: facilitating wayfinding, being a resource person for new students, walking students between locations, and leading social activities.
- Priority for this role will be given to students who have previously participated in the Step Up program and who can volunteer at least 15 – 20 hours.
B. Grad Step Up Orientation for new international graduate students
- Event date: TBA
- Roles include: staffing the registration table, participating in the student panel, being a resource for new students. Volunteers may help for the full day or half day.
- Volunteers should be graduate students and preference will be given to international graduate students.
2. Orientation Volunteer
- CIE’s annual orientation programming provides welcome and transition support activities for new international and exchange students.
- Event dates: September 4-7, 2018 plus the Welcome Reception on Friday, September 14, 2018
- Roles include: greeting new students, helping find answers to their questions, leading campus and neighbourhood tours, and helping them connect with support services at U of T and in the city.
To apply for one of these CIE volunteer positions, please go to the Career Learning Network and find the position under the Volunteer Job Board.
CIE Step Up Volunteer (Job ID TBA)
CIE Orientation Volunteer (Job ID: 120942) - Deadline to apply is June 17, 2018!
Volunteer Interviews & Training
Interviews will be 90-minute group interviews at the end of June or early July.
The training session for volunteers (approx. 4 hours long) will take place the 2nd and 3rd weeks of August. Depending on volunteer availability, there may be some flexibility to these dates.
- CIE Volunteer positions are eligible for recognition on the U of T Co-Curricular Record (after requirements such as minimum number of volunteer hours have been met). Learn more about the CCR.
- Opportunity for meaningful involvement – be the first friendly face a new student will encounter, which can set a positive tone for the rest of that student's time at U of T.
- Build and practise your skills and competencies.
- Meet other volunteers and U of T students.
- Bring your energy, experiences, talents and perspectives to support CIE’s programming, and help students with their transition to the University, city and new environment.
- Strong interpersonal, listening and communication skills
- Ability to confidently represent the University of Toronto and the Centre for International Experience
- Patience and understanding, particularly when working with new, multilingual students who may not be familiar with some Canadian customs or may not be comfortable speaking English
- Intercultural communication skills and interest in/commitment to intercultural experiences and learning
- Willingness to learn and expand your knowledge about services and resources for international and exchange students
- Ability to address student questions and concerns in a timely manner and determine when to make referrals to CIE staff