U of T students going abroad

They say every journey begins with a single step. Your Outbound Exchange may involve a little more paperwork, but we can help you build your adventure in just 6 steps!  

Outbound exchange eligibility

The Student Exchange Program is open to most degree-seeking University of Toronto students – with some exceptions and conditions. Keep reading to ensure that you are eligible.

Ponder before you wander

With so many programs and countries to choose from, how do you decide where you want to go? The two most important questions to ask are: What are your main reasons for wanting to go abroad? and What are your goals? Take some time to think about these questions, talk to your friends and family, and get advice from past participants.  Read some more tips to help you in this process.  


Get faculty approval

To participate in an exchange program you need the approval of your faculty. The approval process varies depending on which faculty you are enrolled in. In most cases the CIE will handle this on your behalf, but there are exceptions. Read more about your responsibilities here.


Get academic credit

There are a few important steps you need to take to get academic credit for your exchange studies, including attending a transfer credit information session or talking to your faculty. Get the details here.

Outbound exchange funding and costs

For most of the programs offered through CIE you will continue to be registered as a U of T student. This means you will remain eligible for many of the loans, scholarships and bursaries available to U of T students, including government assistance such as OSAP and other provincial, territorial or federal loan programs.

Financial difficulties should not prevent students from gaining the international experience that studying and living abroad can provide. The CIE administers a variety of scholarships and bursaries. There are also many scholarships and bursaries provided by various U of T offices. Please inquire at your college or faculty for this information or visit the U of T funding page.  Find out more about funding and costs associated with going on exchange. 

Apply for outbound exchange

The process

This page explains the six major steps involved in applying for exchange and the requirements you need to complete before you go abroad.

1. Before you apply
2. Access the online application
3. Create your profile
4. Finish your application
5. Application processing
6. Before you leave



Deadlines and documents

This page also covers important information about deadlines, and documents you will need to submit as part of your application:

  • Deadlines for Outbound Exchange
  • Questionnaire
  • Resumé
  • Terms and conditions
  • Exchange is U of T's traditional program for students looking to go abroad, offering 140 + partner institutions in 40+ countries.
  • Self-Designed program offers students the opportunity to apply and pay fees directly to another institution.  
  • Research opportunities combine laboratory research experience with travel abroad. Give your academic career an edge – work in a foreign lab, learn new research techniques, and network with professors and graduate students from universities around the world.
  • Joint Minor programs allow you to complete part of a specialized minor in Chemistry, Ecology and Environmental Biology or Geography at National University of Singapore.

While abroad

While you are abroad on a CIE program you will still be registered as a U of T student. This means you will still have access to most of the University's facilities and services – at least the ones you can use from elsewhere in the world.  Make sure you register with the Safety Abroad Office so that we can help you stay safe while you are abroad.


Returning home

When you return to Toronto, you will need to finalize your transfer credits.  Information about finalizing transfer credits for Faculty of Arts & Science and UTM students will be provided at the Transfer Credit session. All others should contact the appropriate contacts at their faculty or department. 



The CIE offers a variety of international research opportunities. Would you like to gain laboratory research experience combined with travel abroad? Working in a foreign lab, learning new research techniques and working with different equipment can boost your academic career — not to mention the benefit of networking with professors and graduate students from universities around the world! 

Learn more about our research programs, including exchange with research, graduate research terms and the summer research exchange program.

Joint minor programs

U of T offers four Joint Minors which are available exclusively at the National University of Singapore (NUS) — a highly regarded university where classes are taught in English.  With a Joint Minor, the credit and grade from your term at NUS may be posted to your U of T transcript, which means less academic risk. 

Self-designed program

If you are a St. George Campus undergraduate student in the Faculty of Arts & Science and you cannot find an international opportunity to suit your academic needs among the many partner institutions available, you may request to study at a university of your own choosing.  Find out more about the self-designed program

Other international opportunities

In addition to the opportunities offered by CIE, there are several other ways to gain international experience through U of T:

Graduate students can visit the SGS website for information about international opportunities for both current U of T students and visiting graduate students.