Students participating in University-sanctioned international activities have access to Safety Abroad Office (SAO) emergency services. The SAO works closely with various Student Life offices and the High Risk team to provide you with supports while overseas and can assist you if you need to return home.

In case of emergency abroad, call the CIE at 416-946-3929 or reach us at the 24-hour collect Emergency line via Campus Police at 416-978-2222.


Alert - Travel to US - posted March 7, 2017

The Safety Abroad Office is continuing to closely monitor the travel restrictions recently imposed by the United States (US) impacting persons with ties to Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Please continue reading for details about this US Travel Alert.

Safety Abroad Services

The Safety Abroad Office works with students, staff and faculty to minimize risk by:

  • Providing Safety Abroad Workshops
  • Monitoring international security situations
  • Assisting students with emergencies abroad
  • Offering a 24-hour emergency line
  • Offering a Safety Abroad Database to track where and when students are abroad so that we can offer them emergency assistance. 

Login to the safety abroad database here


Staff member on phone in Safety Abroad Office

Safety Abroad Database

The Safety Abroad Database allows us to track where and when students are abroad so that we can offer them emergency assistance.

In order to be registered with the Safety Abroad Office before you travel on a U of T activity, you must complete the following:

  1. Waivers: Provided by your department administrator or the program that is sending you abroad.
  2. Safety Abroad Database Registration  
  3. Safety Abroad Workshop (also known as Pre-departure Orientation Session) 
  4. Get Supplementary Travel Health Insurance

In order for your Safety Abroad profile to be considered complete, you must fill in your passport information, health insurance information and emergency contact information. 

Student responsibilities

Prior to making any decisions about going abroad, students should carefully consider the risks. To begin, read our Health and Safety Travel Guide. You must also register with the Safety Abroad Office (SAO) before you travel. We provide support services to give you peace of mind while you’re away from home. Find out more about your responsibilities when going abroad.  


Students with a map

Faculty and staff responsibilities

The Safety Abroad Office provides health and safety support to students participating in University-sanctioned activities abroad. Staff and faculty interested in learning about risks associated with travel and strategies for mitigating these risks should review the Health and Safety Travel Guide and review our resources.

CIE safety abroad staff member

Safety Abroad Workshops

Safety Abroad Workshops are mandatory! If you want to participate in a University-sponsored program overseas you must participate in a mandatory Safety Abroad Workshop. You may also participate in an optional extra workshop if you choose. You must also read the Foreign Affairs Travel Report for the country of your study abroad destination before attending your workshop.


High risk travel

An activity is deemed "high risk" if it involves risks that cannot be minimized by strategic planning. There are strict requirements for traveling to high risk destinations for University-sponsored activities. Students, faculty and staff should read this page carefully to understand their responsibilities.

Health and Safety Travel Guide

This Travel Guide offers practical information about health and safety issues related to traveling abroad. While most students go abroad without incident, travelling overseas has its risks. Whether your destination is low-risk or high-risk, this guide can help.

No set of guidelines can cover everything related to going abroad. Likewise, regardless of the preparation and care you take, your safety cannot be absolutely guaranteed. However, by identifying many of the risks involved and developing strategies to deal with common problems faced overseas, you can reduce your risks and minimize potential hazards.

If you have a tip or piece of advice that you’d like to share with other students, please forward it to safety.abroad@utoronto.ca.

Travel Health Insurance

Make sure you have adequate health and medical insurance coverage during your time abroad. This is not only a requirement for your participation in any University-sponsored activity but also gives you (and your family!) peace of mind while travelling the world. SAO does not recommend any particular Travel Medical Insurance company. We strongly urge you to review your policy carefully.