Winter in Toronto
Staying in Toronto over the winter break? We’ve got you covered.
Winter is cool! And Toronto is a great place to be no matter what the season. There’s lots to do on campus and in and around the city.
At the same time, the winter can be lonely when you’re far from home. Here are activities and events that you may be interested in, and some things to keep in mind to beat the winter blues.
Winter residences and off-campus accommodations
- Housing Services Winter Break List: http://www.studentlife.utoronto.ca/hs/winter-break
- U of T Off-campus Housing Search: https://www.offcampushousing.utoronto.ca
Are you an international student and planning on travelling?
Make sure all your travel documents are up-to-date and valid: https://www.studentlife.utoronto.ca/cie/immigration
Health and Wellness
- Going out of province? Check out what’s covered under UHIP: https://www.studentlife.utoronto.ca/cie/uhip#node-590
- Feeling under the weather? Find a clinic: http://www.studentlife.utoronto.ca/hwc/emergencies#node-1084
- Looking for a flu vaccination clinic? http://studentlife.utoronto.ca/hwc/services-offered#node-3675
- Do you need emergency assistance? Call 911 (Emergency Services) or 416-978-2222 (Campus Police)
U of T buildings open during winter break
Check for changes to operating hours during the break before you visit.
- Hart House: http://www.harthouse.ca
- Athletic Centre: https://kpe.utoronto.ca/facility/athletic-centre
- Robarts Library: http://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/library-info/ROBARTS
- U of T Bookstore: http://uoftbookstore.com
- Gerstein Science Information Centre: http://gerstein.library.utoronto.ca
- Ice skating at Nathan Phillips Square: https://festivalstoronto.com/winter-activities/ice-skating-nathan-phillips-square
- Toronto Harbourfront Centre ice rink: http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/venues/natrelrink/
- Watch a Toronto Maple Leafs game: https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs
- Watch a Toronto Marlies game: http://www.marlies.ca/tickets/ticketprograms.asp
- Watch a Toronto Raptors game: http://www.nba.com/raptors/tickets
- Try downhill skiing and snowboarding: https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/recreation/skating-winter-sports/downhill-skiing-snowboarding-centres/
- Try tobogganing in your neighbourhood: https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/recreation/skating-winter-sports/tobogganing/
- Evergreen Brickworks Winter Village: https://www.evergreen.ca/whats-on/wintervillage
- City of Toronto: Festival and Events Calendar
- St. Lawrence Market: http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/
- City of Toronto History Museums: https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/history-art-culture/museums
- Royal Ontario Museum (free for students on Tuesdays): https://www.rom.on.ca
- Art Gallery of Ontario (free on Wednesdays after 6 p.m.): http://www.ago.net/whatson
- Canadian Opera Company's concert series: https://www.coc.ca/plan-your-visit/free-concert-series
- Toronto Public Library programs, classes and exhibits: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/programs-and-classes
- Black Creek Pioneer Village (in Toronto, outside of downtown area): http://www.blackcreek.ca
- Visit an Ontario Provincial Park: http://www.ontarioparks.com/winter
- Looking for transportation to a park? https://parkbus.ca/
- Niagara Winter Festival of Lights: http://www.wfol.com/
- New York, Northern Lights, French Canada Tours and more: https://www.isx.ca/