National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) 2020
NSSE begins on February 13, 2020
Throughout February and March 2020, all first- and senior-year undergraduate students will be asked to participate in the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). This is the seventh time U of T has participated in NSSE – a survey now used by all Ontario universities and Canadian peer universities to measure the quality of undergraduate education. The results of this survey are used to identify the strengths of a U of T education and identify priorities for change.
In addition to asking students about in-class experiences, working with classmates, interacting with faculty and budgeting time, this year’s survey will also feature a set of questions about experiences with academic advising. Each response to the NSSE survey give us valuable insight into how we can better support our students.
For more information:
All students who complete the survey enter into a draw for one of the following prizes:
- Students who complete the survey by March 16, 2020 will be automatically entered in a random draw to win one of two Presto Cards worth $250 each.
- All students who complete the survey will be automatically entered in another random draw to win either one of five Presto Cards (worth $100 each), one of five Uber eats prizes (worth $100 each), or one prize of Uber eats (worth $500). Chances of winning depend on how many students complete the survey. The last time we administered this survey about 10,000 students responded.
NSSE leads to change
Want proof? Here are some examples of projects and changes that are the result of previous NSSE surveys:
Previous NSSE reports
Reports from previous NSSE surveys can be found on the Vice-Provost, Students website.
NSSE posters and slides
Securing a high rate of response on this survey is critical, both to ensure that the results are accurate and so that we can break down the data by campus, faculty, college and program of study.
Here are some things you can do to help promote the survey. All materials in the list below are available for download in the documents box on your right:
- Posters: Printed copies will be distributed by campus mail. If you require additional printed copies, please contact Tricia Kenderdine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PowerPoint slides: Please consider adding these slides to any lecture or presentation for first- and fourth-year students.
- Digital display slides: If you require a specific size for a digital display, please contact Tricia Kenderdine at email@example.com.
- Newsletters: Please add information about NSSE to any newsletters or listservs you have. We can’t email groups directly about the survey, but we can add information about existing communications.
- Social media: There will be a social media campaign using the hashtag #listenUT. Wherever possible and appropriate, please retweet and post these to your unit’s social media channels.