National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) 2017
NSSE begins on February 8th!
Throughout February and March 2017, all first- and senior-year undergraduate students will be asked to participate in the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). This is the sixth time U of T has participated in NSSE – a survey now used by all Ontario universities and Canadian peer universities to measure the quality of undergraduate education. The results of this survey are used to identify the strengths of a U of T education as well as identify priorities for change.
For more information:
David Newman, Senior Director, Student Experience
Student Life Programs & Services
In appreciation for participating, all 1st and 4th year U of T students who complete the survey by will receive a 20% discount code at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM).
Additionally, we will enter all students who complete the survey into a draw for one of the following prizes:
- 1 iPad
- 5 X $100 Presto Cards
- 5 X $50 Bookstore Gift Cards
- 5 X $50 loaded on to your TCard
- 10 X $10 Starbucks Cards
Image credit: "Royal Ontario Museum on a rainy day" by Paul Bica (Flickr Creative Commons)
NSSE leads to actual change
Want proof? Here are some examples of projects and changes that are the result of previous NSSE surveys:
Previous NSSE reports
Reports from previous NSSE surveys can be found on the Provost’s website: http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/public/reports/NSSE.htm.
NSSE posters and slides, oh my!
Securing a high response rate on this survey is critical, both to ensure that the results are accurate and so that we can break down the data by campus, faculty, college and program of study, where it is most useful in decision-making.
Here are some things you can do to help promote the survey. All materials in the list below are available for download in the Documents box on your right:
- Posters for each campus: Printed copies will be distributed by campus mail. If you require additional printed copies, please contact Tricia Kenderdine at email@example.com.
- PowerPoint slides for each campus: Please consider adding these slides to any lecture or presentation decks you have where first and fourth-year students will be in the audience.
- Digital display slides for each campus: If you require a specific size for a digital display, please contact Tricia Kenderdine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- E-newsletters: Please add information about NSSE to any e-newsletters or listservs you have. Please note we cannot send emails to groups directly about the survey, but we can add information to existing communications. Suggested copy is provided.
- Social Media: There will be a social media campaign using the hashtag #listenUT. Wherever possible and appropriate, please retweet and post these to your unit’s social media channels. Suggested posts for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are provided.