Community Action Project: Story Planet
Story Planet is a non-profit organization that empowers children and youth from grades 1-12 in under-resourced communities through creative workshops that include art, writing and digital media. Story Planet’s workshops complement the Ontario curriculum in literacy and language development. Early grades explore the visual side of storytelling, while older students write stories, scripts, or plays.
Get involved with Story Planet to help children and youth foster confidence, communication skills, belonging, creativity, and more! You can provide individualized support to the workshop participants, while an artist/facilitator leads the activities.
This project is offered in collaboration with Victoria College.
This opportunity is open to all University of Toronto students.
How it works
Students who wish to participate in this opportunity must:
- Register for Community Action Projects. (You will be contacted by a CCP representative within 2-3 business days.)
- Complete a Story Planet Application Form.
- Attend the Community Action Project Orientation. Note: If you missed Orientation, not to worry! You can still participate in Community Action Projects. A CCP representative will set up a one-on-one meeting with you.
- Meet with the community partners at Story Planet for an interview. (You will need a resume, three references and a police reference check. The cost for the police reference check will be reimbursed by the CCP.)
- Attend Story Planet training.
- Attend reflection sessions with the CCP. (This is mandatory for Co-Curricular Record [CCR] validation.)
Flexible. Depends on which program you are supporting:
- In-School Workshops: Work with children and youth in local schools, typically outside the downtown core, weekday mornings.
- After-School Programs: Work with children and youth in schools/libraries in Toronto, and at Story Planet, weekday evenings.
- Event Team: Help plan fundraisers, volunteer gatherings, and more! Various places and times.
- Research and Outreach Team Administration Support: Help with grant applications, data entry, research & volunteer coordination. Various places and times.
- Weekend Workshops: Assist in evening & weekend workshops. Various libraries and locations around Toronto. Various hours Saturday and Sunday.
Story Planet Building
269 Gerrard Street East (Gerrard Street East and Berkeley Street, just before Parliament Street)
Register to volunteer for Story Planet today! Please complete the Community Action Projects registration form.